Aussie-gaming company, BlueBet, has announced plans to withdraw from the Indiana market and is said to be reevaluating its presence in the U.S. sports betting industry.
Time to Say Goodbye
Australian-based BlueBet entered the Indiana market through an agreement with Horseshoe Hammond, a casino owned by Caesars. But that pact was terminated by mutual consent on June 28th, signaling the end of BlueBet’s tenure in the Hoosier State. However, its customers won’t be searching far and wide for other options as Indiana currently has 17 online sportsbooks operating within its borders.
BlueBet also has a presence in Colorado, Iowa, and Louisiana under its ClutchBet brand, but is said to be reevaluating its future in the fiercely competitive U.S. mobile gaming market. BlueBet is the second Australian bookmaker to pick up stakes after PointsBet sold its U.S. assets to Fanatics for $225 million last year, paving the way for the sports merchandiser turned bookmaker to gain much swifter access to several states via the purchase.
A statement released by the company said: “BlueBet remains committed to maximising value for shareholders. The Company believes focusing its efforts and capital on its outperforming Australian business, while continuing to scale in the US with its ‘Capital Lite’ market entry strategy, will deliver the best returns on capital.”
What’s Next?
BlueBet’s game plan moving forward is unclear at this time. They are a big player Down Under but the U.S. market is dominated by FanDuel and DraftKings with only a few second-tier players like Caesars, BetMGM, ESPN BET, and Fanatics able to control enough market share to make being an operator in the domestic market feasible.
Foreign sportsbooks have had difficulty cracking the U.S. sports betting market but UK-based bet365 appears to be doing a capable job in those markets in which it operates. Whether BlueBet will be looking to cash completely out of the U.S. market, ala PointsBet, is difficult to tell but it wouldn’t surprise anyone were they to entertain offers at this point.
BlueBet Merges With Betr
Some industry insiders believe the merger between BlueBet and its fellow Aussie-based sportsbook, Betr (no relation to Jake Paul’s U.S. micro-betting platform of the same name), influenced the decision. The deal began months ago and was consummated on July 1, 2024.
“This is a transformational moment for BlueBet,” said Michael Sullivan, executive chairman of BlueBet. “It brings together our best-in-class technology platform with Betr’s large and high-quality customer base to create a national challenger in the online wagering market.
“The Betr team is fully aligned with this vision. We are excited by the growth opportunities and synergies that will be unlocked through the proposed merger.”
Betr founder Matthew Tripp added: “Today is a significant day for Betr. It is a major step towards achieving our ambition to be a tier 1 wagering operator. The combination of our joint scale and the BlueBet technology platform is extremely powerful.
“What excites me most is the deep experience and highly complementary skillsets of the combined team which sets us up well for the next phase of growth.”
The company’s new C-suite will see Betr CEO assuming the reigns of BlueBet while BlueBet’s previous CEO, Bill Richmond, will work as the company’s COO. Darren Holley will remain as the BlueBet’s CFO.






