Kayshon Boutte, the former LSU standout who had been hobbled by injuries before being chosen by the Patriots in the sixth round of the 2023 NFL Draft, was notified that the underage gambling and computer fraud charges against him had been dropped.
No More Pain in the Boutte
An investigation by the Louisiana State Police Gaming Enforcement Division found that former LSU and current Patriots wide receiver Kayshon Boutte made over 8900 wagers between April 6, 2022, and May 7, 2023, while he was 19 and 20 years old. Of those 8900 bets, at least 17 were on NCAA games while six were placed on LSU contests.
Boutte allegedly got around the minimum age requirement of 21 by using an alias. The state also charged him with computer fraud and accused Boutte of continuing to gamble for a week after he was drafted on April 29, 2023, by New England. The NFL’s gambling policy prohibits betting on anything related to the league but nothing else.
Upon learning of the charges, Boutte surrendered to local authorities and was released from East Baton Rouge Parish Prison after posting a $6000 bond. However, in a favorable turn of events, the state of Louisiana recently announced it was dropping all charges against Boutte.
First Assistant District Attorney Tracey Barbera cited Boutte’s completion of a “gambling awareness” program as well as voluntarily excluding himself from gambling of any kind in Massachusetts and enrolling in the self-exclusion list on FanDuel and Bet99.
Barbera also noted there was no evidence that Boutte bet against himself, which meant there were no financial losses to anyone wagering on those LSU games.
“Betting against himself would be the only way that he could control the bet,” Barbera told The Associated Press. “He can guarantee a dropped ball, but he can’t guarantee a reception or a touchdown.”
“In light of his mitigatory actions, we do not believe a felony prosecution is appropriate,” said Barbera.
League investigation
But that doesn’t mean Boutte is completely out of the woods as an NFL spokesperson said, “We have been following developments in the matter, which remains under review. He may continue to participate in all team activities.”
Patriots coach Jerod Mayo said back in May that they would “wait to hear from the league going forward.” The verdict is still out as to what, if any, punishment will be meted out to Boutte. It is unlikely he would be suspended but a fine could be handed down.
Boutte turned heads his freshman year by setting an SEC single-game record with 308 receiving yards against Ole Miss in the last game of the regular season in which the Tigers defeated the Rebels, 53-48. Boutte would end the following season with nine touchdown receptions as a sophomore.
However, his stock plunged his junior season as he battled injuries throughout the 2022 campaign and ended with just two touchdowns. Yet, instead of returning to LSU for a senior season of redemption, Boutte decided he would enter the NFL Draft where the Patriots plucked him in the sixth round.
As a rookie, Boutte got very little playing time and was active in just five games and ended the season with two receptions for 19 yards. This year, Boutte will be battling for a roster spot after the Patriots drafted two receivers, Washington’s Ja’Lynn Polk in the second round and UCF’s Javon Baker in the fourth round.






