The North Carolina Lottery Commission unanimously approved a certificate of compliance proposal earlier this week that will permit regulators to begin accepting license applications for retail sportsbooks in the state.
Place Your Bets
State regulators decided the mobile launch would be prioritized over retail, but now that the digital sports betting market has been successfully rolled out, the time has come for the retail market to become available. This will allow patrons to make a bet at an actual sportsbook and not have to download an app.
Although statistically over 90% of the sports bets in the United States come via a mobile device or PC, retail locations are still financially feasible. Legislators have already approved retail sportsbooks at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, Quail Hollow Golf Club in Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium and Spectrum Center in Charlotte, PNC Arena in Raleigh, WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Wilkesboro Speedway, and Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro.
Unlike mobile sports betting, there will be no uniform launch date for permanent retail sites. The operator and the site must be vetted by the state to receive a compliance certificate. The operators must be in good standing, submit all appropriate operational documents, receive lab certification, as well as host on-site inspections prior to launch approval, among other regulatory requirements.
Sterl Carpenter, deputy executive director of Gaming Compliance and Sports Betting, said during Wednesday’s meeting, “There is a great deal that goes into an opening of this space. It’s almost like a tiny casino.”
Mobile Market Booming
Mobile sports betting in North Carolina launched on March 11, 2024, and the market has proven to be every bit as robust as anticipated and then some. Since the launch six months ago, North Carolinians have wagered over $2 billion on sports betting, which has produced $275 million in revenue with the state collecting $62 million in taxes.
Governor Roy Cooper signed mobile sports betting legislation into law last June and offered several reasons why he supported what has become a lucrative new revenue stream for the state, easily surpassing estimates of $36.1 million in sports betting tax revenue for Fiscal Year 2025 after only six months.
Cooper explained at the signing of the legislation why he supported the initiative, saying, “Let’s face it, sports wagering is already happening in our state. Surrounding states here and across the country are already taking advantage. In fact, today in Vermont, Gov. (Phil) Scott is signing similar legislation there. This legislation allows the state of North Carolina to regulate it and to put safeguards on it, as well as provide funding for helping people with problem gambling.”
In what could be an addition to the mobile and retail sports betting menus, the North Carolina Lottery Commission unanimously approved an esports guidance and petition proposal, which will likely pave the way for that offering to become available to those who want to bet on gamers gaming.
“After review of the guidance documents and the newly developed petition for esporting events, we’ve taken these special considerations into account,” Deputy Executive Director Carpenter said. “The petition delves into six sections to get all of the information that will be needed to educate and inform staff on whether an esports event will have enough oversight and security to allow for wagering in the state of North Carolina.”






